About The White Bear Inn

Originally built as a house, The White Bear became an Inn in the 1700’s. It was used as a stopping point in Stillington by Stagecoaches travelling from Leeds to Helmsley via York.

The White Bear Inn, York

History of The White Bear Inn

The White Bear Inn is a traditional North Yorkshire pub between the City of York and Helmsley. It is set in the heart of the village of Stillington and is owned and run by husband and wife team, Phil and Sue Robinson,

They have been sensitive to the history and character of the building whilst providing a comfortable place to go and unwind, somewhere they would like to go themselves.

Phil and Sue are passionate about creating a pub that sits at the very heart of the community. One that welcomes everyone (and their dog) as they walk through the door.

The team at The White Bear Inn do the simple things that make a ‘trip to the local’ more than just about a drink. Catching up with friends, and making new ones. Phil’s passion for real local ales means there’s always a great choice of guest beers – sparking discussion with drinkers and diners alike.

Originally built as a house, The White Bear became an Inn in the 1700’s and was used as a stopping point by Stagecoaches travelling from Leeds to Helmsley via York. Few changes have been made to the historic pub – enlarging the kitchen and expanding the bar to create more social areas where families and friends can gather – but the essence of the Inn remains true to its heritage.

Phil & Sue, Owners of The White Bear Inn, York

The Current Owners

Since the age of 18 both Sue and Phil have worked in hospitality.

Phil training as chef de rang at Browns Hotel in London before returning North to join Trusthouse Forte and to later become a Wine Semillon.

Sue travelled to Cornwall in her little red mini from West Yorkshire and worked at the Tregloss Hotel in Padstow – doing everything from reception to running the cocktail bar. On returning to West Yorkshire she took on a café where she perfected her cooking skills.

Phil and Sue met in 1988 when both working for William Younger Yorkshire Ltd. Together they took on The Ainsty Hotel from 1989-1993 and in 1995 they took the lease at The White Bear Inn, before purchasing it in 1998.

This year marks their 20th year of owning the local inn.

To book a table
please call 01347 810338 or email thewhitebear@live.co.uk